The Oklahoma City University School of Law was selected to receive the 2016 State Historic Preservation Officer’s Citation of Merit.
The award will be presented to the law school and its contractor, the Frankfurt Short Bruza architecture and engineering firm, during the annual Statewide Preservation Conference on June 2 in Enid.
The university purchased the former Central High School building at 800 N. Harvey Ave. in 2012 and renovated the structure in time for classes to begin in fall 2014. The building was designed by architect Solomon Andrew Layton, who also designed the Oklahoma state Capitol and the Skirvin Hilton Hotel.
The historic Gothic-style building was constructed in 1910 and is on the National Register of Historic Buildings. It has 177,000 square feet.
The Citation of Merit is awarded annually to individuals, organizations, agencies and firms that have made important contributions to the preservation of Oklahoma’s heritage.
Oklahoma City University selected Anderson & House Inc. as the commercial contractor for the renovation. The project preserved a small museum in the building’s original lobby that includes photographs and artifacts from its time as the city’s first high school. The museum also features two large murals by Oklahoma artist Olinka Hrdy, which were restored and returned to their original location.